Key Message Updates
A Key Messages Update is published monthly and includes items from the Board, Museum Advisory Council (MAC), and the administration. These topics include the highlights and successes of the month, as well as the Board’s perspective on matters of importance. Key Messages for the month are presented under each of the four Strategic Plan Goals. Subscribe to our Key Messages.
Key Messages of the Month-April 2020
Posted by Sabrina on April 16, 2020
Vibrant Spaces & Capital Campaign Committee
- Campaign Programs Cancelled: As a result of COVID-19, BMPL has cancelled all fundraising and major events including the 25th Anniversary Golf Tournament and the 25th Anniversary Gala. We thank all those donors who have provided contributions and we will be in touch with each of you individually to discuss next steps.
- Penny Sale Auction: Thank you to the community members who participated in the February Penny Sale Auction for the CHD REEL History Film Series. We raised $3,225 through this program, which will cover 65% of the 7th film on the Natural History of the Escarpment. Those who are still interested in making contribution to the CHD REEL History Film Series may do so by contacting the CEO.
Organizational Capacity, By-Laws & Governance
- Policy Review and Approval: The Board has begun the annual approval and review of policies. In April the Employment and Health & Safety policies were reviewed and approved for the next four years. Additionally, the operational policies pertaining to employment have been changed in authority to the CEO as these fall under the authority of this position. The Board waived Notice of Motion, in alignment with policy, to approve By-Law amendments to POL-BLG.2018.06-Meetings of the Board and POL-BLG.2018.99-Agenda & Multi-Year Agendas. Both the Policy and Plan pertaining to pandemic preparedness were each amended and approved.
Communication and Strategic Planning
- Online Subscriptions: During the month of April staff are completing work in our subscriber database. You may receive an email asking you to verify your subscription. This is required under the Canadian Anti-Spam Legislation (CASL). We have heard from some members of the community that they believed this was a phishing or spam email. We do want to ensure everyone is comfortable in clicking the link and encourage anyone to call for further information, but this is a requirement to continue to receive communication from BMPL.
- Virtual Town Hall: The planned Town Hall for May 2020 will still occur, but due to lack of Face to Face meetings, this will occur virtually on Facebook Live. More information will follow in the Annual Report print Board newsletter scheduled to be released by the end of April, as well as the May e-newsletter.
- Meet the Team: As part of our effort to provide transparency and accountability to our stakeholders, profiles and photos of Board Members, MAC, ACC, staff and volunteers have now been uploaded to a new section of the website.
Service Excellence & Administration
- Virtual Services: The BMPL facilities may be closed to the public, but we continue to provide high quality services to our community virtually. Hundreds of thousands of materials are available online with a library card. We also have museum exhibits available on our Virtual Branch in the Biblioboard site. Anyone requiring their card number can contact LibraryInfo@TheBlueMountains.ca or call 519-599-3681 ext 2 and leave a message. If you do not have a library card, our online application is available under the Services tab of our website.
- FaceBook Live Programs: The BMPL staff are busy working remotely doing the good works of our organization. Monday-Saturday there are daily programs occurring using FaceBook Live. If you are not a currently follower of our Facebook account, please follow us for access to our ongoing programs. Our Event Calendar is up to date and includes these programs time and information.
- ACC Presents-Your Brain on Digital Art: While The Gallery at LE Shore is currently closed to the public, we are happy to work with the April exhibitor, The Blue Mountains Creator Space to provide the scheduled show online. Your Brain on Digital Art is now available for viewing.
- Craigleith Heritage Depot Temporary Closure: Following the temporary closure of the CHD on October 24, 2019, radon remediation has been completed and an air quality tester has been installed in the facility. By early June we will have final testing results and will be able to provide further updates on the reopening of the building. Wi-Fi is still available at this site. An FAQ webpage has been developed and will be a primary point of communication as we work through remediation of the facility.
- BMPL Extends partnership with the Creator Space: BMPL is happy to announce that the Blue Mountains Creator Space has received a 3 year grant to extend the workshops and partnership. LE Shore will continue to be a lead sponsor throughout the duration of this program