Key Message Updates
A Key Messages Update is published monthly and includes items from the Board, Museum Advisory Council (MAC), and the administration. These topics include the highlights and successes of the month, as well as the Board’s perspective on matters of importance. Key Messages for the month are presented under each of the four Strategic Plan Goals. Subscribe to our Key Messages.
Key Messages of the Month-January 2020
Posted by Sabrina on January 17, 2020
Vibrant Spaces & Capital Campaign Committee
- 25th Anniversary: The 25th Anniversary Celebrations will include two fundraiser events. Please Save the Date!
-Save the Date — Thursday, July 9, 2020. The Museum Advisory Council will be holding a Golf Tournament on Thursday, July 9, 2020 at Cranberry Golf Club. This is a fundraiser for the Craigleith Heritage Depot collections.
-Save the Date — Saturday, December 5, 2020. The 25th anniversary year will culminate with a gala on Saturday December 5, 2020 at the Blue Mountain Inn Wieder/Kandahar rooms.
- Committee Chair appointed: The VS-CC Cmt appointed Joanne Vivona as the 2020 committee chair. Many thanks to Laurey Gillies who led this committee in its first year of the Board cycle.
- Capital Campaign: The Board directed the VS-CC Cmt to begin planning for a capital campaign program.
Organizational Capacity, By-Laws & Governance
- Action Plan 2020: The Board approved the Action Plan 2020 which includes 108 identified items which will work toward the successful implementation of the 4 Goals and 19 Objectives of the Strategic Plan.
- Committee Chair appointed: The OC-BLG Cmt appointed Laurey Gillies as the 2020 committee chair.
Communication and Strategic Planning
- Communication Plan: A communication plan for 2020 will include at least 4 presentations to Council on various topics and updates, as well as 3 planned Town Hall style community presentations. Dates will be announced in future Key Message Updates and identified on the e-newsletter and Library Calendar.
- Council Presentations: Th C-SP presented a Committee of the Whole presentation in December on Key Achievements in 2019.
Service Excellence & Administration
- Craigleith Heritage Depot Temporary Closure: The CHD has been temporarily closed due to environmental and air quality concerns since October 24, 2019. The CEO and Town staff are working on a remediation plan and will have the building and services open as soon as is possible. In the meantime, all museum staff and CHD programs have been moved to LES and are working on key collections projects. The Wi-Fi and book drop are still available in Craigleith, for those who find this more convenient. An FAQ webpage has been developed and will be a primary point of communication as we work through remediation of the facility.
- REEL History Shortlisted for Minister’s Award. The REEL History Film Series was nominated for the Minister’s Award for Innovation. Awards will be announced on January 30th at the annual Ontario Library Association conference. Congratulations to the Craigleith Heritage Depot for being shortlisted for this very prestigious award.
- Mental Health in the Workplace: The Board endorsed the The Charter of the Mindful Employer Canada, which provides the framework for promoting mental health in the workplace. The Board also endorse Health & Safety goals for 2020.
- CEO Appointed the Incoming President of OLA: Dr Saunders was appointed as the Incoming President of the Ontario Library Association (OLA). The three-year term will include her appointment as Incoming President in 2020, President in 2021, and Past President in 2022. Founded in 1900 and with more than 5,000 members, OLA serves all Ontario libraries including the public libraries and their boards (English and Francophone), First Nation libraries, school libraries (elementary/secondary), academic libraries (university/college) and special libraries.