Key Message Updates
A Key Messages Update is published monthly and includes items from the Board, Museum Advisory Council (MAC), and the administration. These topics include the highlights and successes of the month, as well as the Board’s perspective on matters of importance. Key Messages for the month are presented under each of the four Strategic Plan Goals. Subscribe to our Key Messages.
Key Messages of the Month- April 2022
Posted by Sabrina on April 21, 2022
- BMPL Requests the Community Share Resources-Not the Virus! As the community moves into the 6th wave of the pandemic, there are no limitations within the building; however, we ask all community members to continue to wear face masks in order to limit spread and protect our community and staff.
- Craigleith Heritage Depot Roof Update: The roof at the CHD has been temporarily fixed and is awaiting products to become available for completion. This should occur by mid-May 2022.
- L.E. Shore Returns to Regular Hours: The LES will be returning to regular hours on April 15th. New hours are Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday 10:00am-5:00pm, and Tuesday and Thursday 10:00am-7:00pm. While we look forward to returning the Sunday hours to L.E. Shore, at this time we are using those paid hours to keep staff developing virtual programming.
- Juried Show Applications Close April 30th: The application deadline for the 2022 Juried Arts Show closed at the end of the month. This show will offer a youth application and regular application.
- New Tech Help Program: A new Tech Help program, offered in partnership with the Adult Education Centre in Collingwood, starts in April. Patrons looking for help with their computer, tablet, smart phone or other technology, may sign up for one-on-one tech help sessions with an instructor from the Adult Education Centre. If needed, the instructor will create a personalized tech program plan.
- Pandemic Parenting Group: BMPL partnered with Marsh Street Centre and introduced a new community program, The Pandemic Parenting Group. A much-needed social engagement event for caregivers and youth. The first session was held at the end of March and was attended by 15 families. This program will be ongoing and the plan is to introduce monthly sessions, alternating between Marsh Street Centre and L.E. Shore Library.
- Rural Service Update: Beginning in May, BMPL will be provide services 2 days a month at Ravenna Hall. This pop-up service will Our Pop-up GLAMs at Ravenna Hall will be happening starting May 6th. They will be running on the 1st and 3rd Friday of each month, except July & September which will be the 2nd & 4th Friday (due to the long weekends). If you would like your holds delivered to this site, simply contact BMPL and we will bring your materials with us for pick up on those Friday’s.
- Strategic Plan 2022-2026 Approved: The final BMPL Strategic Plan was approved by the Board at the April Board Meeting. This document will inform the direction of BMPL for the next four years and will replace the 2018-2022 Strategic Plan. This document will be published on the website in early May and an Executive Summary will be mailed to all households in May. Additional copies will be available at both the L.E. Shore and Craigleith Heritage Depot locations. If you want more information, you are welcome to visit the website, or join us at Council on May 10th when we make our deputation, presenting the new document.
- Thank you to our Community Partners: Over the 14-month Strategic Plan Study we visited many businesses and shops as we looked to connect with our community. Thank you to our partners who gave us a place to set-up, sheltered us in the rain, and promoted our study to you. It was a success, in no small part, to their support of our program.
- Agricultural Advisory Committee (TBM)
- Ashanti Coffee Roasters
- Birch & Benjamin
- Black Angus Fine Meats & Game
- Blackbird Pie
- Beaver Valley Outreach (BVO)
- Canada Post Office in Thornbury
- Circle K in Craigleith
- Georgian Artisan Shop
- Georgian Bay Youth Roots (GBYR)
- Goldsmith’s Orchard Market
- Ravenna Country Market
- Seniors Centre Without Walls
- Seniors Network - Blue Mountains
- The Town of the Blue Mountains
- Thornbury Bakery
- Thornbury Farmers Market
- Thornbury Home Hardware Centre
- Strategic Plan to be Presented in Deputation to Council: At the May 10th Committee of the Whole meeting, the Chair and CEO will be presenting the BMPL Strategic Plan 2022-2026 to Council.
- Board Planning Day: Annually in May, the Board holds a planning day. Due to MFIPPA, this meeting will be a closed session beginning May 19th at 9:30am. Following the meeting a Library Board Meeting will follow. This meeting is anticipated to occur at approximately 3:30pm and will be broadcast live on Facebook.
- Action Plan 2022: The Action Plan 2022 was reviewed and updated for 2022 objectives to be accomplished. This will be finalized at the May 19th Board Meeting and currently includes 90 items to be achieved across the new Strategic Plan pillars and goals.
- Year in Review 2021: The Year in Review 2021 annual report is scheduled to be released in mid-May. The Board approved this video review of the year’s activities at the April 21st Board meeting.
- CRA Application: BMPL is currently working to move the organization from a Not-for-Profit organization to a charity. Libraries across Ontario have begun making this switch based as their mandates meet these criteria. This will enable us to apply for national and provincial grants, and foundation contributions. BMPL’s application is expected to be complete at the end of 2022 or early 2023 due to the CRA backlog of applications.