Key Message Updates
A Key Messages Update is published monthly and includes items from the Board, Museum Advisory Council (MAC), and the administration. These topics include the highlights and successes of the month, as well as the Board’s perspective on matters of importance. Key Messages for the month are presented under each of the four Strategic Plan Goals. Subscribe to our Key Messages.
Key Messages of the Month-February 2021
Posted by Sabrina on February 18, 2021
Vibrant Spaces & Capital Campaigns
- Capital Investment Mandate: The Board passed a resolution to reaffirm the mandate of the Library Land Reserve Fund as an internally restricted reserve for the purpose of expansion of the BMPL facilities.
Organizational Capacity, By-Laws & Governance
- Updating of By-Law: The POL-BLG.2018.99 Agendas and Multi-Year Agendas was updated to account for the pandemic virtual meeting adjustments, and decision to meet for committee work as a full Board in 2021.
- Board Regular Meeting Dates: The Board has decided to continue with the Board Meetings on the 3rd Thursday of the month in 2021. These will begin at 2pm and typically last until 5pm, but there is no set end time of a meeting. Typically, there are no meetings in August and December. With the change of the Public Libraries Act, BMPL must only meet 7 times a year for regular board meetings. As such, some additional meeting times may be adjusted to special meetings where specific topics are addressed more in depth. These meeting times are also identified on the Event Calendar.
- Comments from Our Community: The Board would like to thank those who spoke to members and staff personally and who provided written correspondence which supported the BMPL Budget. We understand that in trying times budgets must be kept low. BMPL’s budget came in below the 2020 budget in order to be a strong partner during the pandemic. We also acknowledge that services may look different at this time, but our staff continue to balance safety with service and are still providing award winning service.
- Provincial Board Assemblies: The newly established Ontario Library Services has requested each Board appoint a member to attend and share Board interests at OLS Board Assembly Meetings twice a year. BMPL has appointed Joanne Vivona to this position.
- Federation of Ontario Public Libraries: Dr. Sabrina Saunders was elected by the membership of FOPL to the position of Vice-Chair for a two-year period.
Communication & Strategic Planning
- Board Meetings Live Streamed: More than 100 people have attended each of our live streamed meetings, either live on Facebook, or later on Facebook or YouTube. To make it easier to find the videos a link is being shared on the Event Calendar after the YouTube videos have been uploaded, within 48 hours. The Board has agreed to continue to livestream while they are meeting virtually, and encourage members of community to participate in our Deputation process and Input on the Agenda comment period as well.
- Calling All Photographers: BMPL is looking for images of our community that we can use in our communications and social media. If you are interested in donating photos of our community both about our GLAM/using our GLAM services, and of our places throughout our community, we would love to add them to our collections. Not a photographer, but have a good eye? Send us information about a place we should visit and get images.
Service Excellence & Administration
- REEL History Series Launches 2 New Films: The newest films The Niagara Escarpment and Fossils were premiered virtually to a crowd of 1500+ across our many platforms. If you missed the newest films, you can watch them on our YouTube Channel. Be sure to subscribe so you don’t miss new materials loaded there.
- BMPL Continues Curbside Pick Up: BMPL will continue to provide curbside pickup for the foreseeable future. If there are materials you are needing assistance finding, please call or email us. While we understand that it would be easier for everyone if we opened our doors to pre-pandemic access, we are working to meet all community expectations while we balance the safety of our staff and community during this pandemic. Our website provides information on contactless curbside pickup, how to find items through our Virtual Branch and Virtual Museum. Our YouTube Channel also has several short tutorials for accessing virtual content. We encourage you to visit our Service Updates & COVID-19 regularly as this is our main way for updating our community on how our staff continue to pivot and provide services throughout the pandemic.
- New CEO & Services Update Report: A new report has been added to the monthly agenda package. This CEO & Services Update Report includes statistics and important service model changes and new programs and initiatives. Importantly, each of the items outlined in this report can be directly tied back to the individual Action Plan 2021 item number. Some of the highlights of this month's report are below.
- Pop-Up Seed Library Pilot a Success: Thanks to eARTh Revival, we hosted a travelling Pop-up Seed Library that provided native seeds to community members to help restore the natural ecosystem and pollinators. By the end of the pilot week, we were nearly out of seeds. Interest was so great in the Pop-up Seed Library and the presentation on germinating your seeds, that our programmers will be exploring further partnerships for Seed Library opportunities. Stay Tuned!
- E-Magazine Increase by 6000%: BMPL is switching from RBDigital eMagazines to OverDrive eMagazines. Current users of RBDigital eMagazines will have to download a new app, but the selection has improved dramatically, from 50 magazines to over 3,000 popular magazines from around the world. eMags have unlimited checkouts and no waitlists.
Key Messages of the Month-January 2021
Posted by Sabrina on January 21, 2021
Key Messages of the Month-November 2020
Posted by Sabrina on November 23, 2020
Key Messages of the Month-September 2020
Posted by Sabrina on September 18, 2020
Key Messages of the Month-July 2020
Posted by Sabrina on July 17, 2020
Key Messages of the Month-May 2020
Posted by Sabrina on May 23, 2020
2019 Year in Review
Posted by Sabrina on May 1, 2020
Key Messages of the Month-April 2020
Posted by Sabrina on April 16, 2020
Key Messages of the Month-March 2020
Posted by Sabrina on March 20, 2020
Key Messages of the Month-February 2020
Posted by Sabrina on February 21, 2020
Key Messages of the Month-January 2020
Posted by Sabrina on January 17, 2020
Key Messages of the Month-November 2019
Posted by Sabrina on November 27, 2019
Key Messages of the Month-October 2019
Posted by Sabrina on October 25, 2019
Key Messages of the Month-September 2019
Posted by Sabrina on September 25, 2019
Key Messages of the Month-July 2019
Posted by Sabrina on July 20, 2019
Key Messages of the Month-June 2019
Posted by Sabrina on June 26, 2019
Key Messages of the Month-May 2019
Posted by Sabrina on May 26, 2019
Key Messages of the Month-April 2019
Posted by Sabrina on April 29, 2019
Key Messages of the Month-March 2019
Posted by Sabrina on March 21, 2019