Wireless Internet FAQ
Wireless internet access (or WiFi) is free at the both branches subject to the library's Wireless Access Guidelines.
Wireless / mobile printing is also available. Send from anywhere. Pick up at the L.E. Shore Memorial Library.
What is wireless Internet access?
Wireless Internet access uses radio waves to exchange information between your computer and the Internet.
No cables are required.
- Wireless allows library users to bring their own computers to the library and to get Internet access.
- Wireless enables the library to offer Internet service without installing additional wiring
- Library users can use their wireless laptop computers to get Internet access at almost every table or chair in the library and are not limited to the normal computer areas of the library.
- Since users provide their own equipment, the time limits that apply to library computers do not apply to WiFi users. You can use the system all day.
How do I use wireless at the library?
- The library's wireless network is called LIBRARY-1 and there is no password.
- You will need to bring your own laptop computer to the library and it will need to have built-in WiFi or you will need to install a wireless network card.
- Most WiFi equipment will be compatible. However, the library can make no guarantees as to the compatibility of your equipment with the library's network.
- Printers are not part of the Wireless Internet Access program in the library. If you need to print, please save the work to a USB stick or other storage device, then login to a workstation and send print jobs to a printer.
What about security?
The Library's WiFi is not secure. Information sent over our network can potentially be intercepted by someone else. When accessing corporate e-mail and other sensitive information, considering using additional security, such as a VPN, or Virtual Private Network. Your computer must be fully protected with up-to-date security software.
Limitations and Disclaimers
The Library assumes no responsibility for the safety of equipment or for laptop configurations, security, or data files resulting from connection to the Library's network
The Library cannot assure the safety of your data when you use either our wired or wireless Internet access. The Library recommends that credit card information and passwords not be transmitted while using a library wireless network.
Can the library help me configure my computer?
Library staff may be available to assist you. However, everyone's computer is different and you are responsible for knowing how to configure your own equipment. The Blue Mountains Public Library cannot be responsible for any changes you make to your computer's settings.