Interested in getting your novel, memoir, poetry collection, children's book and more in eBook and print-ready formats? Pressbooks Public is an easy-to-use online tool that allows you to create professional quality versions of your book in ePUB, MOBI, PDF and more—all through the library. To get started with Pressbooks, follow the steps below:
Register for a Pressbooks account
- Visit the Blue Mountains Public Library Pressbooks website.
- Once you’re on the website, you’ll see a “Connect via BiblioBoard” button. Click that button, and you’ll be taken to a login page.
- If you already have a BiblioBoard username and password, enter them into the boxes provided.
- If you don’t have a BiblioBoard Library account, click “Get Started Now” and follow the prompts to set up your profile.
- Once you’ve successfully logged in, you’re ready to create your book through Pressbooks!
Add your book information
- This is where you add and edit information about your book, such as author name, subtitle, publication date, cover, etc.
- Here you can fill out as many or as few of the metadata fields as you would like.
Add and organize your text
- In this section you can edit your content and organize it into chapters.
- This is also where you have the ability to add front and back matter, such as a bibliography, introduction, or preface.
Select your book design theme
- Pressbooks offers over 50 unique themes to choose from for those who would like to alter the overall appearance of your content.
Export your book
- Lastly, you export your own professional-grade ePUB, PDF and MOBI files with Pressbooks’ simple one-button export panel.
Submit your eBook to SELF-e for circulation at the library
- If you choose, you can submit your eBook to SELF-e, a royalty-free, non-exclusive publishing platform that makes eBooks available to local public libraries. Learn more about SELF-e.
What is Pressbooks?
Pressbooks is an easy-to-use online software — now available through your library — that allows you to create professional-quality eBook and print-ready files of your book in ePUB, MOBI and PDF formats.
Do I need to know anything about graphic design or coding to use Pressbooks?
Nope! You can write, edit and format your book in Pressbooks with no coding or graphic design knowledge at all. Pressbooks offers over 50 different free themes, each carefully and professionally designed, that are ready for you choose from. Pressbooks also allows you to easily add footnotes, images, front matter, back matter, table of contents and more, all with no experience necessary.
Does Pressbooks take any ownership of my exported files?
None at all. After exporting your book with Pressbooks you still retain complete and total ownership of your content and all exported files, and can distribute your work however you would like. Pressbooks claims no portion of any future or past royalties.
Can I use Pressbooks if I already have a draft of my book?
Yes! You can copy and paste each existing chapter of your book into Pressbooks OR import your entire Word document. (Note: Pressbooks cannot convert PDF files to ePUBs)
After I export my book with Pressbooks can I make changes to it?
Yes! You can edit and update your works in Pressbooks and export the updated files as frequently as you
would like, for as long as you would like.
I’m having trouble getting started with Pressbooks, what should I do?
If you’re not sure how to begin using Pressbooks, ask your local librarian today. There are a variety of videos, tutorials and training guides designed to get you on your way to producing the best versions of your works as possible.
Here is a quick tutorial to understand the process of getting started with Pressbooks: https://vimeo.com/biblioboard/pressbookspublic