Who Was L.E. Shore?
Leonard Eldon Shore (1902-1989)
The L.E. Shore Memorial Library here in Thornbury was named after its benefactor, Mr. Leonard Eldon Shore.
Leonard E. Shore had deep roots in the Township of Collingwood. In 1850, his grandparents, Andrew and Mary Shore, were original settlers in the Township. They cleared and farmed Lot 20 near Victoria Corners. The farm stayed in the Shore family until 1954.
Shore was born to David Hazelton Shore and Eleanor Elizabeth Maud Shore (nee Devitt) in 1902. He attended Victoria School S.S.#17, Thornbury Continuation School, and graduated from Meaford High School in 1921. His vision to become an architect was fulfilled in 1928 when he graduated from the University of Toronto, School of Architecture.
His career was interrupted first by the Great Depression of the 1930's and then by the Second World War. He served in the Canadian Army from 1942-1945 and held the rank of Major. Following the war, he and Robert R. Moffat formed the architectural firm of Shore and Moffat which eventually became Shore, Tilbe, Irwin and Partners, architects for the L.E. Shore Memorial Library.
When Mr. Shore passed away, the Shore Foundation was established in his memory. This library was constructed by the Foundation as a memorial to Leonard E. Shore, a prominent Canadian architect, and his architectural firm was asked to contribute the design.
Local buildings designed by the late Mr. Shore include: Meaford Elementary School, Meaford General Hospital, Collingwood District Collegiate, Stayner District Collegiate Institute, and Georgian Bay Secondary School.
The L.E. Shore Memorial Library : a Living Legacy (PDF) A history of the L.E. Shore Memorial Library