Downloading e-books to an iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch
Ontario Library Service Consortium by OverDrive allows you to download e-books to your Apple device using the OverDrive app. "OverDrive READ" titles can be read in your device's Internet browser.
Step 1: Download the free OverDrive app and sign up for an account
Go to the App Store from your Apple device and download the OverDrive Library eBooks and Audiobooks app. You can find it by searching for "overdrive". Install and then open the app.
You will be prompted to sign up for an OverDrive account. If you are under 13, you may skip this step.
There are several ways to create an account with OverDrive: with a library card, Facebook or email.
To Sign up using library card, search for Blue Mountains Public Library. We are a member of the Ontario Library Service Consortium, and group of small public libraries that share a collection.
You library card has 14 digits with no spaces. Your PIN is the last 4 digits of your phone number. What is my library card?
Step 2: Sign in to the Ontario Library Service
You must sign in to search and download books. Ways to sign in:
- Tap Add a title.
- Tap Sign In on the top right of the Ontario Library Service page.
Selecting our library and entering your card and PIN:
- Search for Blue Mountains Public Library.
- Enter your 14-digit library card number with no spaces.
- Your PIN is the last 4 digits of your phone number.
- Make sure Remember my login is checked off so you don’t have to type in your card and PIN each visit.
Step 3: Find a book
There are three ways to search for a book:
- Tap the search box on the Ontario Library Service website and enter title, author or keywords.
- Browse by format (eBook or Audiobook) and subject (All Fiction, Mystery & Thrillers, etc.
- Tap Advanced Search. Under format, select All eBooks. At the bottom of the Advanced Search screen, check "Available Now" to see what’s available right now.
Is the Book Available?
Like a print book, a limited number of electronic copies are available for loan. Only one patron at a time may borrow an eBook or digital audiobook.
- Books that are available to borrow will have a black book icon in the upper right-hand corner of the book jacket.
- Books that are currently signed out will have a greyed out book icon in the upper right-hand corner of the book jacket.
- Headphone icons are digital audio books.
- You can always filter your search to see titles that are available now. Look at the options on the left hand column after you see your search results.
Step 4: Borrow or place a hold
Tap on the book jacket. To see more information about the book, tap more.
To borrow, tap the Borrow button. The book will be signed out to you for 2 weeks.
Placing a Hold
If a title is already signed out, tap on the book jacket then, tap Place a Hold. Enter your email address. You will be notified by email when the book is ready for you. By default, it will be checked out to you automatically.
Step 5: Download
- After you tap Borrow, you are ready to download the title.
- If you are not prompted to Go to Checkouts, tap on your Account and Checkouts will appear.
- Next to the title you wish to download, tap Add to app.
- Once the book has downloaded (you’ll see “Title Added”), tap the Home Menu at the top left.
- Go to BOOKSHELF. All your downloads will be displayed there. Touch the book title to begin reading or listening.
Returning Titles Early
You don’t need to return books, but if you wish to return a title early, go to the book cover on your BOOKSHELF, touch the cover for a full second or so until the option to Return to library or Share pops up. Choose Return.
The Renew option becomes available three days before a title is set to expire and appears next to the title on your Checkouts page (under your Account). If the title already has holds, you can't renew it, but you can place a hold.
Reading OverDrive READ titles in your browser
OverDrive READ is a format that allows you to immediately read e-books in Safari. Not every Download Library title is available in OverDrive READ format. When you sign out a title and look at your Bookshelf in your Account, OverDrive READ titles will show an option to "READ (in your browser)".
Once you choose Read (in your browser), the e-book should open in a new browser window. Your browser may prompt you to save content for offline viewing or to bookmark the page. Click on the book cover to begin reading.