Download Audio Books from OverDrive
Download digital audiobooks for free from the Ontario Library Service Download Centre, aka OverDrive.
You need ...
- A valid library card
- An Internet connection (we have free wireless at the Library)
- A computer or device that meets the system requirements for the type(s) of audio book you wish to download
- Free software: OverDrive Media Console (available at OverDrive or your app store)
Ways to enjoy e-audiobooks:
- Download audiobooks to a Macintosh or PC computer: play on the computer, download to a portable music player or burn to CD.
- Download and listen directly to an Android, Apple or BlackBerry device or Windows Phone 7.
Getting started with a PC or Mac:
- Download OverDrive Media Console
- Visit the Ontario Service Download Centre website
- Click on the Sign In link at the top right of the Ontario Library Service Download Centre page. Type “blue” and select The Blue Mountains Public Library.
Getting started with a mobile device:
- Download the OverDrive Media Console app for free from your app store.
- Launch the app. Tap Add a Library and choose The Blue Mountains Public Library.
Step 1: Sign In
- Enter your library card number, which is the entire 14-digit number on your library card (no spaces). I am not a member of the library. How do I join?
- Enter the last four digits of your phone number as your PIN.
- If you have overdues or your card has expired or been suspended at the library, you will not be able to sign in. For help with problems signing in, call us at 519-599-3681.
Step 2: Find a book
- Search by title, author or keyword (any word that appears in the description). Make sure you filter by audiobook. Audiobook titles will have a headset icon on the cover.
- Browse by category and format (e.g. Audiobooks - All Fiction or Audiobooks - History).
- Click the cover image to see a description of the book and copies available.
- Like a print book, a limited number of copies are available for loan. Only one patron at a time may borrow them. If a title is available to borrow, select the button to Borrow. If the title is checked out by another patron, there will be a button to Place a Hold and you can enter your email to add yourself to the wait list.
- Click Go to Bookshelf to see every title you have on loan is listed.
- Tip: Use Advanced Search for a list of all titles that are available to borrow right now. Leave all fields blank but choose the Format you want (All Audiobooks) and the Available Now button.
Step 3: Downloading from your bookshelf
- If you have a tablet or mobile device, follow the prompts to download and play.
- If you are downloading to a computer, choose Download Audiobook. Choose the option to Open in OverDrive Media Console. You may download the entire audiobook or 1-hour sized parts.
- Menu options at the top of OverDrive Media Console will allow you to Transfer your files to a portable music player or Burn to a compact disc. Caution: one audiobook may be many CDs!
Can I do it at the Library?
If you are using a laptop, tablet or mobile device, visit the library and use our free WiFi to search and download audiobooks.
Need more help?
Consult OverDrive’s Audio Book Help page for more details or to watch videos.
To contact the library for help, phone: 519-599-3681 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Make an appointment with Elisa and bring your laptop or mobile device.